1. Start a website: You might have heard the cliche, "everyone popular has a website." But fortunately, you don't have to be famous to have a website. You can have your website made from a specialist or can make it yourself. Just choose a topic you like, get your pen...err... keyboard ready and start creating killer content for which people would come back again and again.
2. Start a blog: Some bloggers are ridiculously famous. No matter what they write, people like it and start praising them. Although such wizardry would have no reason in the real world, the cyber world has a reason for everything. To become one such popular blogger, the basic thing required is killer content. The second most important thing required is being regular in posting articles, and probably the most important thing required is humility. You can have your self hosted blog or choose any of the free blog hosting platforms. The two leading ones are Blogger and WordPress.
Related: What is a Blog?
3. Join Facebook: Facebook is the second most visited website on the internet after Google. Almost everyone is on Facebook. Having so much traffic each day makes Facebook a potential advertising target. Just join Facebook, add everyone you know as a friend and also add the friends of your friends to your friends list.
Create a Facebook fan page and add links to your website and blog on it. Observe what people like on Facebook and start a postathon of posting such articles. 'Like' other people's posts and give genuine comments on them. There is a good chance that they might get to your fan page and start following you.
Also:Why Facebook is Blue in Color?
4. Join X/Twitter: Twitter helps you share the latest buzz on the internet. Everyone well-known is on Twitter. Be it Tom Cruise or Sachin Tendulkar, Twitter has left no one untouched. So why shouldn't you be on Twitter too? Join Twitter and start following people. It is more than likely that they will follow you in return. Be controversial but only to a limit. Moreover, tweet on any latest buzz you might see on the internet. e.g. Octopus Paul was fairly popular on the internet during the FIFA World Cup 2010. Many people tweeted about it. Most of them are popular on the internet.
5. Join social networking sites: Aside from Twitter and Facebook, join all the social networking sites you can think of. Try to be an active member of the community and take part in discussions. People will eventually start liking you and will be pulled to click on your profile link. Have an amazing profile with links to your website, blog, Facebook fan page and Twitter account.
6. Join forums: Be helpful in forums. Welcome new members and don't discourage newbies. Always encourage them and remember that there are people on the other side of your computer reading what you are typing. If you do all this, people will feel that they are under a charm and will click on your profile link. Again don't forget to add links to your website, blog, Twitter account and Facebook fan page in your profile.
7. Your profile: Having a well written profile for uploading in social networking sites, your blog and website will help make you famous much sooner. Remember to have a descriptive profile with a slight comic touch. People will praise your profile and will be attracted to you like bears to honey.
8. Start commenting: Give intelligent comments on other blogs/websites with a link to your website/blog. Remember not to give spammy comments followed by a link. Use the Name/URL field to give a link. Try to correct other blogs and suggest improvements in the posted articles but remember not to become too much of a corrector. People don't like such commentators.
I am pretty sure that if you follow all of the suggestions given above, you will also become popular on the internet in no time.