There is a partial version of Star Wars Episode IV: A new hope movie done entirely in ASCII characters that you can watch in the Windows operating system (or any OS that supports Telnet). The only thing required to watch it is an internet connection.
To watch it on Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux
- Go to Start, Run. (Only for Windows users)
- Now type "telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl" without the quotes and press Enter. Users of Mac OS X and Linux can directly execute this code in the terminal window.
On Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows Vista
Telnet is turned off by default in the latest versions of Windows. So, in order to watch movies on Telnet, you must first enable it by going to Control Panel › Programs › Turn Windows Feature On or Off > ticking the Telnet client check box and pressing OK. After doing that, follow the steps given below:-
- Go to Start, Search in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 10. On Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, open the main Start page.
- Type telnet and press Enter.
- In the following Command Prompt window, type "o" without the quotes and press Enter.
- Now type "towel.blinkenlights.nl" without the quotes and press Enter to load the movie on your screen.
If you do not need Telnet after seeing the movie, you can turn off the Telnet client Windows feature.